Tuesday 27 October 2015

Review: Honey I Washed The Kids Soap


Honey I Washed the Kids is one of Lush's most popular soaps. Due to its incredibly creamy vanilla, toffee-like smell, this scent is both appealing to experienced lushies and newbies that randomly end up in a Lush store. But has HIWTK more to offer than just a beautiful smell?


HOW IT LOOKS.

This soap looks really pretty. It has a natural looking, yellow-beige colour that fits the whole honey/wax theme of Honey I Washed The Kids. While I found that this soap looked rather yellowish on pictures of the Lush website, my piece has a slightly different colour which reminds me of a chunk of caramel. Unfortunately, my piece didn't have this popular "honeycomb" shell on one side which is kind of sad because I really like that! But as it was part of a gift box, I couldn't really change that. This soap is still beautiful and looks perfect to eat. However, there are soaps that look more spectacular like Baked Alaska, Maypole, Old Father Time, Layer Cake, Yog Nog, ... - you probably get it.



HOW IT SMELLS.

Let's move on to one of the most important aspects of a soap - the scent! This is definitely what makes Honey I Washed The Kids to something special. THIS SMELLS AMAZING! As you're going to notice while I keep on writing this blog, I'm absolutely in love with everything smelling like vanilla, toffee or honey - I love these creamy, super sweet smells and want my whole body smelling that way (Lush makes it possible!). As always, describing scents is very difficult but I'll try to explain it as follows: Imagine making hot milk with about 10 times the amount of honey you normally would. Then, you would add in a rash of caramel, butter and even more sugar. Eventually, you would have to throw lots of vanilla extract in the whole mixture to create a smell like HIWTK. What sounds disgusting to drink (or eat? It would probably have a weird consistency) makes this soap smelling incredible. A creamy, buttery, super sweet caramel-scent. I LOVE IT!



HOW IT WORKS.

That's where Honey I Washed The Kids has its problems, but let's start with the positive. This soap lathers up really nicely - not creating lots of bubbles, but rather a creamy texture that you can easily apply which I definitely prefer. 



Unfortunately, while applying the soap, the scent does already get slightly weaker - not too much, you can still smell it, but it's slightly disappointing. The biggest disadvantage is that the scent didn't stay on my skin for a longer time. While other scents seem to last forever, I couldn't really detect this smell five minutes after I washed my hands with it. This is so sad! I want my whole body smelling like HIWTK but it just doesn't work. (At least not with this soap, but I just found out that It's Raining Man Shower Gel shares its scent with HIWTK! I definitely have to try it, I was pretty much ignoring this shower gel until I found out it has this incredible scent). Additionally, this soap is not too moisturising for your skin, although it doesn't exactly dry out your skin as well. It leaves that clean feeling you have after using a solid soap that I like, but I definitely have to apply lotion afterwards. I don't mind too much about that since that's something I generally have to do in colder months and with this soap, it's already much better than with drug store soaps. Therefore, the biggest downside of this product is the non-lasting smell which is really sad.



OVERALL IMPRESSION.

Still, this is a really nice soap. It smells incredible before and while applying it and it feels nice on your skin although it doesn't exactly moisturise it as well. The big problem about this is just that it doesn't last really long. I'm still going to use it as I love the smell and I'm happy this 120g chunk will last quite a while :)


No comments:

Post a Comment